The Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise Development advises employers and employees in the Public Service, State Enterprises and Private Sector to utilize the following guidelines:
- At this time it is not advised that children be allowed onto work places/facilities, inclusive of company vehicles or compounds as they too need to be protected.
- All parents are encouraged to use their support systems in the first instance to take care of their children to allow them to report for duty.
- Employers are encouraged to implement remote work policies, where possible, to minimize the need for employees with children to physically attend work.
- Where it is not possible for employees with children to work from home, recognized majority unions/employees and employers are required to explore options of shift work, staggered hours of work and/or rostering.
- Where there are both parents in a family, one parent is encouraged to stay at home with the children whilst the other reports for duty.
- Where alternative work arrangements cannot be made the employee is to be allowed to stay at home with his/her children without being penalized by either disciplinary action or by non-payment of salary.
or call 299-0300 ext. 2043 or 2124.
- Employees are advised that if you are not sick do not stay at home.
For the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic employers are required to implement Pandemic Leave provisions within their organisations in a compassionate manner which ensures business continuity whilst securing the national interest.
In light of the pandemic facing Trinidad and Tobago officers who will be eligible for Pandemic Leave within the Public Service are as follows:
- Public Officers – Permanent, temporary, monthly paid and daily rated.
- Fixed Term Contract Employees.
- Short Term Contract Employees
- On the Job Trainees (OJTS)
- Office Holders within the purview of the Salaries Review Commission (SRC) - (whose Office falls in the Public Service such as Top Managers, Judiciary and Legal Services).
Employers are encouraged to develop appropriate arrangements to ensure business continuity during this pandemic.